Saturday, March 31, 2012

Adventurous Teachers

Today I really put the ADVENTURE in Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher!

I live about 20 minutes away from the US National Whitewater Center. It's where the USA Olympic Whitewater Team trains. Pretty cool huh?

It's not just whitewater activities though, there are trails, rope courses, zip lines, rock walls and so much more.

Well, lo and behold, they do field trips.  Teachers in the area were able to go today, listen to their spiel about field trips (which sound AWESOME) and we were able to participate in all of the activities for FREE.
Yep for free!

So we rafted (twice). Of course who was the only one who fell out? ME!  I survived though.

I conquered my fear of the zip line. Here is our little group of teachers pre-zip line.


Yep, that is Elisabeth from Twins, Teaching and Tacos! I know that you're jealous that we are real life friends! (PS She's having a giveaway right now, be sure to check it out.)

Elisabeth went rock climbing with me!
Wait, we were too scared to go on the big wall behind us. 

We went on one of the ropes course.

We can ignore the fact that we were scared to death on the "Baby" Course.  

So, needless to say I am exhausted, but it was SO much fun.  I am also incredibly sun burnt. Farmer's tan and all. 


Well, on to teachery things.  Do you guys use Google Docs in your classroom?  I know some of you bloggers use it to upload your fabulous freebies. 


Our county is "Going Google".  I am part of a pilot program of teachers that have been using Google Docs in their classroom.  I am not going to lie, life has been so busy that I haven't been able to do as much as I originally planned at the beginning of the year.  

I have used a lot of Google Forms with my kids.  I've embeded the form into our Kidblog site and had students fill out surveys.  I have also used them with Netvibes too (It's kind of like a webquest put all on one site.) It's great because the students do some research on a website and the questions are right there for you to answer. 

This past week, we started our first real project in Google Docs.  We have been working on our county writing benchmark, it's a content specific writing prompt.  Our grade level chose the one about soil since we just wrapped up the unit.  So the students started typing up their writing  and their classmates practiced editing.  It went pretty well, but we are still no where close to done.  

Anybody else have any ideas about using Google Docs in the classroom?

10 comments:

  1. I love it there!! I went when visiting friends last summer! I can't wait to come back! I am jealous you are so close! A field trip would be so fun!

    Ali

    An Education Lasts a Lifetime

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited that you did it!!
    When my hubs and I "eloped" to Jamaica to get married, we did the tree top zip line - it was SOOOO much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like such a fun day!!! I'm jealous. Thanks for sharing all of your cute pics.

    Thanks for posting about Google Docs. I really need/want to find time to get myself more familiar with this. At many of the Common Core workshops I have attended Google Docs has been mentioned as a great tool to use. It's another thing on my summer to do list that just keeps growing.

    Have a great weekend!
    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber,
    Just wanted to touch base and make sure everything was working on your blog.
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun day!
    Also, I love the Geometry lapbook freebie. So cool.


    Yearn to Learn Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like fun! I'm your newest follower. Such a cute blog!! :) Hope you can hop over to mine and check it out. :)


    Second Grade Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use Google Docs a lot with my third graders. We LOVE making presentations. It's similar to power point but easier! We've researched (states, planets, reptiles...) then put the information in a presentation and the whole class can see each one! You must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off, looks like you had a really fun day! I'm jealous, as my Sunday was spent doing laundry and spending $200 at Home Depot! OUCH!

    Second, as far as Google Docs go, I haven't used them with my class, but our district is veering into the world of Google, too, and I really want to learn more about how to use the Google Apps in the classroom! I went to some Google sessions at CUE a few weeks ago, and I'm going to go to few more in June at the ISTE conference, but I would also love to hear how people are using them in their classes! I'd love to keep up with how you are using them.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You forgot to mention how hot one of the rafting guides was! It was a BLAST!!!!!

    Twins, Teaching and Tacos.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...